Minutes 3/2/21

We discussed the spirit and service competition that Evan will brainstorm ideas for. Everyone needs to sign up for convention through the Menlo bookstore. This cover letter has a link to sign up. Saturday is Carcer. It would be great to have some Menlo parents go to learn how to score certamen so they can do it at state convention. If anyone’s parents are free, they should let Sonia and Magis know. The historians volunteered to help with impromptu art at convention. They could use playdough to make a mythological figure. We will need to use school accounts to make Zoom calls for convention. Ahna and Magis had the idea to add more fun activities for convention. They thought we could have a theme for baking (eg. Rome’s birthday) and when we reconvene at the end of the day, everyone would show what they made.

Minutes 2/23/21

We continued to assign volunteers for state convention. Board members also started signing up to write the activities. Claire is running for the state board and Magis will write her teacher recommendation. Kayla is considering running for Editor. Lucas and Magis went over next steps for Colloquia speakers for Convention. Ahna worked over break and added all of the events to the Sched. We will have three separate Kahoots around 30 questions each. We are considering adding E-Sports to balance out the Latin related events. Magis volunteered Maddie to write the Ancient Culture Kahoot (30 questions, three versions). The Historians will plan Impromptu Art they also need to begin working on the scrapbook because it is due soon. Kayla can do the Mythology Kahoot. Jacob has posted the most recent Lorica to the website. 

Minutes 1/12/21

We assigned volunteers for state convention. The sheet to do that is here. Sonia and Magis went over the schedule with the state board this weekend. They heard from the people who ran Ludi that the Zoom technology is the most important thing to get right. They decided it’s easiest to do digital certificates. We need someone to design that. We are going to do pictionary next week during our meeting. We will post it on the Instagram to have other people join rather than just the board members. We will do different games in each breakout room. Claire, Evan, and Kayla will make a doc with instructions for how to play instagram. 

Jacob will run bingo in two weeks. We will use Magis’ link for the upcoming meetings and switch for convention. 

Sonia is working on the escape room that we will test in three weeks. 

Everyone remember to send their Lorica articles to Kayla by this Friday, January 15th. 

Minutes 1/5/21

We are moving from iMessage to GroupMe. Sonia sent a link to our phone numbers so everyone needs to download the app. Kayla wants to do a “happy new year” Lorica. She needs a counsel to write a newsletter. Kayla is going to write a “this month in Roman history” article and she asked Magis to write a column with some of her Latin themed anecdotes. Sonia, Ahna, and Magis will meet on Friday at 5pm to prepare for a state board meeting. We are going to do a Bingo game in 2 weeks during a meeting to practice for the state convention. Jacob is going to work on that and there are students in Ms. Jordt’s class who are willing to help. We are also going to practice the escape room, which will take Sonia a while to make. We will do it in 3 weeks. 

Minutes 12/15/20

Kayla is working on the Lorica; there will be something on Certamen or pictionary activity. Magis wants to know if someone can design a Saturnalia card (digital) that she can email out. Claire will make the e-card. We are going to do real sport competitions (push-ups, sit-ups etc). We think 1 judge for each 20 kids works. Sonia added everyone to a GroupMe chat because we have been having problems with our grext. Mr. Klee sent a website to play chess online. You can play 6 games each for free: should we use this for Ludi? Even (activities head) has not yet thought about how we can implement that, but he can work with Mr. Klee to set this up. We will talk to Magis about it. Magis will send open certamen questions to Ms. Jordt. Ms. Jordt will join the convention meeting on Saturday at 3pm. Everyone should donate to the Redwood City Family shelter. 

Minutes 12/8/20

We will take a club picture next week. Annika gave us an update on the scrapbook; they have a folder with photos but they need to have the book done by state convention. Evan gave an update on pictionary; he learned we will need separate breakout rooms for each 10 people, Latin words need to be separated by comments, and he will post the rules on Sched. We need more clues for the escape rooms during convention. We will have different categories for Bingo (Latin life, history, etc). We will practice before convention. We are going to get information from Ludi. Kayla will ask Jade from middle school to write an article for the Lorica. She might write about Saturnalia as well. Jacob and Rohan need to pay for JCL on the Menlo library. 

Minutes 11/17/20

The students on campus today will write and sign a thank you card for Miramonte for hosting Ludi. We talked about Ludi and how that will impact our planning for state convention. 

Notes for State: 

  • Ahna thinks we should spread out colloquias throughout the day. 
  • We need more than one scorer in each Certamin room 
  • Magis needs to finish the Certamen questions
  • We should proofread the questions 
  • We should have people introduce themselves with their offices, names, faces at the general assembly
  • It would be nice to have more noise at general assemblies
  • We have to consider whether we need adults in every breakout room. We should have enough with SCL and parents
  • The escape rooms were a mess at Ludi. We need to have different Zooms open with passcodes that people have to find thru clues. We need more than 1 person working on executing it 
  • We need more music and conversation in every activity
  • Claire will help us run a tik tok challenge at state
  • We need better ideas for spirit activities

We don’t have academic test results yet. We need to pick a day for the Gladiator party. We can’t do it immediately after break. Kayla will write the thank you note for Miramonte.